Saturday 9 April 2011

Thursday, April 7th, 2010

March to Vaikuntha

Toronto, Ontario

It's been a while since I walked the Belt Line Trail. It's where I started my trining for marathon waling. At mid afternoon the trail is not ignored by locals despite the mud in some areas. They are doing what they need to do. The are out here to chill, just like I am. There is a need, a compulsion to get out. The building you are in and the constant dealing with people that pushes you away. It's necessary on a daily basis.

I'm grateful for this space, the air and the rare person with their dog. The atmosphere is pleasant, as close to Vaikuntha (heaven) as it will ever get.

I thought how unfortunate some people are, for instance, those residing in the politically-hot domino countries of the middle east. There, one cannot boast of peace. You cannot enjoy a walk.

And yet here in this place of relative peace not all persons are smiling and expressing good cheer. I had come out of the ravine and onto a path of a higher elevated park when I heard a toss and a rustle in a plastic bag. I though, "Oh, here, we must be having a raccoon who trapped himself in a garbage bin, but no...." I turned around to see Mr. Grumps. Now, Mr. Grumps was doing a good deed.

I said to him, "Oh, I though it was a raccoon; you know how they get caught inside trying to find food."

"No," said he, "I tossed out a soft drink can. It was 20 feet from the bin and someone couldn't take the time."

"It's carelessness," I suggested.

"Carelessness?" retorted Mr. Grumps. "It's ignorance." He forged ahead, passed by me. I was watching him. He found another piece of trash to pick up. The park was quite clean except for the odd piece of garbage. I though, "Okay, Mr. Grumps, there are some ignorant people. At least enjoy your volunteer service, or else you fall into the same category." I concluded he's not at peace.

It is so rare to find it in this world. All the more reason to march to Vaikuntha.

8 KM

No comments: